7 Things to Know About College Disability Services

Understood logo

At a glance

  • Colleges provide accommodations under civil rights laws.
  • They typically coordinate support through a disability services office.
  • Students must register with that office to get accommodations.

If your child has had an or an in high school, you’ve been able to play a role in the process. You’ve had access to the people who are providing supports and services. And you’ve been able to monitor how well those supports are being implemented.

College is a different story — starting with the fact that there are no IEPs or special education in college. For some parents, that can be hard to adjust to at first. Still, almost all colleges have a disability services office for students with learning and thinking differences.

Here are seven things to know about college disability services, and how they differ from high school.

Click here to read more